[VAC] Re: Jordan controller

Joy,

A well thought out reply

>Hi Rick,
>
>Before you talk about the disadvantages of inertia controller, please accept
>that all controllers are not equal.  You should study the Prodigy before
>including it with the rest.

The Prodigy is a new product which works on newer principals.  I have not
used it  and did not intend to lump it in with the controllers in common use.
My experience is with the old Tekonsha model 12, and the current sentinel
model.
Both of these suffer from the shortcomings covered. This is not to say they
don't work, simply there are better options.

>I'm quite new to towing and chose both a Hensley hitch and the Prodigy brake
>controller to limit my risks.
>
>So, I'll reply to each of the disadvantages as I learned from the Prodigy
>video and the manual.  My previous controller was a Voyager, so I also
>understand how it functions.
>
>> 1  Easily adjustable and not affected by mounting angle or whether you are
>> going up or down hill.
>
>The Prodigy adjusts itself for changes in angle.  The braking does not
>change with up or down hill situations.  It's simple to setup the first time
>and any adjustment is very easy.  I know that you  understand that the
>trailer brakes work differently when cold and hot.  It's simple to change
>the aggressiveness of the Prodigy to accommodate this situation.  Don't
>think you are so lucky with the wire adjustment.

Truthfully, I have not noticed a significant difference between cold and
hot and pull about a hundred trailers per year.  I have noticed brakes will
be grabby after the trailer has not been in daily use.

>> 2 Meters the brake current.  When full on the typical magnet pulls about 3
>> amps so when hooking onto a  trailer you can quickly tell by the current
>if
>> all the brakes are there.
>
>An obvious advantage not on the Prodigy. Only the voltage is indicated on
>the Prodigy.
>>
>> 3  Works in reverse.  Pendulum controllers must be actuated manually.
>
>Definitely not, as the Prodigy works equally in forward or reverse.  There
>is an over ride to deactivate the reverse braking for some situations.

Why would you want to deactivate the braking in reverse??

>> 4  Will still function from the brake pedal in case of a complete brake
>
>Certainly something from "far scapes".  The front and rear brakes have
>separate hydraulic systems, just in case. Please explain how this could
>happen. Besides, what's the problem with manual braking?  There will always
>be times when this is preferrible.

Not likely to have a complete failure, however a partial failure will
result in decreased braking, thus decreased deceleration and decreased
braking from the pendulum controller.
There is nothing at all wrong with manual activation, except for
remembering to do it in a panic situation.  There are situations where it
is the best way to go.

>It's senseless to try to compare controller unless you've studied the
>operation.  Generalizations are not good advice that might sway newbees
>(like me) to one or another controller.  Certainly your critique of older
>inertia controllers is valid.
>
>Please consider that the Prodigy is a new breed.  Give it the credit that
>the engineers designed into it.

None of my comments were aimed at the prodigy which is, as mentioned as
newer technology.  I do think the generalization about the bulk of inertia
controllers is valid.

Rick