[VAC] Re: Jordan controller

Hi Rick,

Before you talk about the disadvantages of inertia controller, please accept
that all controllers are not equal.  You should study the Prodigy before
including it with the rest.

I'm quite new to towing and chose both a Hensley hitch and the Prodigy brake
controller to limit my risks.

So, I'll reply to each of the disadvantages as I learned from the Prodigy
video and the manual.  My previous controller was a Voyager, so I also
understand how it functions.

> 1  Easily adjustable and not affected by mounting angle or whether you are
> going up or down hill.

The Prodigy adjusts itself for changes in angle.  The braking does not
change with up or down hill situations.  It's simple to setup the first time
and any adjustment is very easy.  I know that you  understand that the
trailer brakes work differently when cold and hot.  It's simple to change
the aggressiveness of the Prodigy to accommodate this situation.  Don't
think you are so lucky with the wire adjustment.

> 2 Meters the brake current.  When full on the typical magnet pulls about 3
> amps so when hooking onto a  trailer you can quickly tell by the current
if
> all the brakes are there.

An obvious advantage not on the Prodigy. Only the voltage is indicated on
the Prodigy.

> 3  Works in reverse.  Pendulum controllers must be actuated manually.

Definitely not, as the Prodigy works equally in forward or reverse.  There
is an over ride to deactivate the reverse braking for some situations.

> 4  Will still function from the brake pedal in case of a complete brake

Certainly something from "far scapes".  The front and rear brakes have
separate hydraulic systems, just in case. Please explain how this could
happen. Besides, what's the problem with manual braking?  There will always
be times when this is preferrible.

> This has proven to be far smoother than the Tekonsha it replaced.  The
> inertia controller was not happy at slow speeds in town if set up on the
> highway or didn't brake hard enough on the road when set up in town..

Not so with the Prodigy and you can't compare it to any other inertia
controller.  I can set the aggressiveness of the Prodigy to bring the
trailer brakes on long before the truck brakes come to full power.  If I hit
the brakes hard and reduce the brake, the Prodigy follows immediatly by
reducing voltage.  If the brake is held for more than three seconds, (any
emergency situation would be over by then) it automatically sets the voltage
to "hold the brake" and on my unit, this is three volts.  The setup calls
for full applied braking at 30 mph.  It's true that at very slow speeds, the
Prodigy sets the brakes too hard, but releases immediately.

It's senseless to try to compare controller unless you've studied the
operation.  Generalizations are not good advice that might sway newbees
(like me) to one or another controller.  Certainly your critique of older
inertia controllers is valid.

Please consider that the Prodigy is a new breed.  Give it the credit that
the engineers designed into it.

My Prodigy worked admirably in both hurricane Hanna and Isabel.  For some
unknown fate, I traveled with both for three days of my first trip.  You can
imagine that I had several panic stops from 55 to 60 mph due to accidents
and emergency vehicles.  The trailer stayed where it belonged, behind my
truck.  I credit much of this to the four wheel ABS braking that kept the
truck from sliding out and so let the trailer do the steering.

With my earlier tow vehicle, a conversion van with only rear wheel ABS, I
would have been in deep sh**.  The front wheels would have locked and who
knows where the trailer and would have ended up.

                        Regards, Joy