[VAC] Re: protecting glass on a 66-68

I have a 68 and I, too, was worried about the windows
when I first got the unit. Since then, I have walked
into a few of the windows. Not too good for the
forehead! I definitely concur about putting marking
tape on them.

I think the windows are stronger than they look. No
problems with mine so far. Probably the biggest
threat is scratching them (and of course blunt
impact). The strength of glass is an extrinsic
property--meaning that it has more to do with how you
treat the glass than it does the material itself.
Glass is insanely strong when intact. It's stronger
than steel--if it isn't scratched or impacted. So
take care not to scratch the windows and don't worry
too much.

I don't know about rubber seals scratching glass, but
sand or grit could be big trouble if embedded in the
rubber. Keep in mind that it is tempered glass also.
Stresses are deliberately built into it so that it
will shatter into little pieces if broken. This
increases it's sensitivity to scratches and probably
explains the failure of windows in transit (constant
rubbing and shock loads).

I usually close mine just enough to engage the
retraction catches when I'm going to be away. Then, I
put a little tension on the mechanism. This keeps
them from flapping in the wind if a storm comes up.
Closing them altogether isn't an option in our steamy
southern summers. We usually boondock and aren't
solar powered like the Tylers (yet).

Yours have held up for 36 years so far. Be reasonable
and enjoy them. Don't worry too much.

Jon in SC