[VAC] Re: Andy 1966 Window breakage prevention

Thanks for your response, Andy.

I have exactly this situation with one of our side windows on the curbside
where the kitchen sink is located on our 1969 Airstream International with
twin beds. Is this window *and* frame readily available with this new type
of "plastic glass" you mentioned earlier?

This particular window "shattered" for one reason or another. Maybe it was
vandalism, a rock or pebble from a weed eater, whatever. Bottom line is
that it was shattered.

I did try and make do with a piece of Lexan with the old gasket installed
into the window frame. As you can guess the complex curve of the window
frame was not a very good fit. Have you ever tried to use a heat gun or
something like that to help the plastic material conform to the fit of the
window frame before? That was going to be my next step in trying to find a
way around or through this situation.

I was not aware that plastic or Lexan in my case would expand and shrink to
any large degree. I do think that Lexan is tougher than Plexi-glass though
and I say that is right if I remember my research correctly.

The very reason I tried this fix myself, tearing down the window frame,
Lexan material, etc., was because the window and frame I ordered from the
Airstream factory through an Airstream dealer was so shabbily made I was not
going to accept such poor workmanship. It really galled me that this window
came to me from the factory with aluminum shavings stuck inside the paper
covering the window, rivet holes that were plugged due to mis-drilling,
rivets installed into holes that actually bent the shaft of the rivet in two
directions and more.

What happend to me? Did I get a window from a worker who didn't give a hoot
and this one slipped by "inspection"? Maybe I got one that was cast aside
and never should have been shipped? I do know that whatever the reason I
ended up very disgusted with the final product that cost me well more than
$100 but less than $200 if my memory is correct.

Tom
WBCCI 5303