Univolt problems

Dear Group,

My name is Jim and I live in Maine. I just drove 10 hours to Prince Edward
Island to purchase a '66 Overlander. It was a great trip -- a beautiful, but
remote part of the world. Coming back over the Confederation Bridge
pulling the Airstream was quite an experience.

I have a question about the univolt. The previous owner said that when he
had it hooked up it "fried" the battery -- no doubt due to overcharging. I
am therefore assuming that the univolt is faulty as it was designed to sense
when the battery is fully charged and stop charging. Has anyone encountered
this problem with the univolt? Is there a way to test whether this is in
fact what is wrong with the unit? Is it fixable, or should I just spring for
a new 55amp Univolt? Are other brands of inverters a reasonable option?
Any installation tips? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all in advance!

Jim
'66 Overlander