[VAC] Re: Alum Propane tanks

I took both of my Worthington 40 lb tanks to a local LP Gas fill station
last December here in central TX.  The person was new at the establishement
and not exactly strong enough to remove the valves.  So, wanting to get on
the road, I used used the four foot pipe/hold down jig to remove the old
valves.  She then emptied the tanks right onto the St. Augustine grass,
(while I stood a good distance away).   I then puttied the threads, and
installed the
 new OPD valves they had at the station.  At least I wasn't charged their
fee for installation!

After a quick visual check, she date stamped the two tanks (are they truly
certified?) and refilled them both for me.  Once on the road, I stopped at
an A/S dealer and purchased a new regulator, as the old one was not a smooth
operator.
 It was at his time that I was informed that the hose connections to the
tanks were of a variety that is OK for
gas grills etc., but apparently not rated for RV use.  I suppose the moral
is, take your tanks and connection lines (and possibly the regulator) with
you when you go to  "update" them to the new Overfill Protection Device
valves.  And, choose wisely where you go.
Safety first, especially when it comes to LP,  but that's just my opinion.

Chris
1963 Ambassador
Austin, TX