[VAC] Re: Coleman furnance

Title: Re: [VAC] Coleman furnance
Hi Jim,

Sorry about the delay in replying. You have probably already made a decision, but I'll contribute my 2 cents. If I were you, I'd scrap the old furnace and spring for a catalytic heater (about $300) instead of a new furnace (about $600) in your 20 footer.

I've gone both routes on two different Airstreams. With our 31', I decided on the furnace (30,000BTU) and a catalytic heater (6300 BTU), although I don't use both simultaneously. With our 22' Safari, I decided on only the catalytic heater (6300 BTU), although I plan on putting in a propane lamp this Spring (already purchased it). We have such a lamp in our 22' Flying Cloud (not in use yet), so know what it can do when combined with a catalytic heater (already installed).

None of our Airstreams are used during sub-freezing temperatures. Our 31' is for Snowbirding and our 22' is for summer traveling, so both get their share of usage every year.

Additionally, we use a small electric cube heater in each trailer for those times when we have an electric hookup. The heaters with two different settings (750 watts and 1200 watts) are more convenient for us than those with one setting (1500 watts).  On many occasions, the campground electrical system won't tolerate the higher wattage without popping the campground circuit breaker. We have never had the breaker shut down when on 750 watts.

Another convenience is quietness. I found heaters with a squirrel cage are too noisy for an afternoon nap while my wife reads a book.

Hope this helps with your decision,

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net