[VAC] Re: n the mend

Chris,

As far as I know, the cable is stock type NM (Romex).  If you have a 15 amp
circuit the cable will be 14-2, 12-2 for a 20 amp.  Back in the 60s the ground
wire was legal at 2 sizes under the connector size, but I believe the minimum was
16 gauge so that is probably what you are looking at in either cable size.  Cable
is not made with undersize grounds any more, I forget how many codes ago it was
changed, maybe as many as 5 or 6 issues ago.  (Three years between issues, current
issue is 2002).  As time goes by, changes in usage of power, type of connected
load, etc. are reflected in code requirements.  I can remember when polyphase
loads were allowed to have smaller neutrals, now with all the computer loads and
their harmonics, the neutral is required to be LARGER than the hot legs.

Does your trailer come from the time frame of the aluminum conductors, or is it
from before that?  If your conductors are aluminum, I would make every effort to
change everything.

Matt

--
Pam, Matt and Darrell Worner