[VAC] Re: Buying Axles

I would like to change our thread on axles. I would like to hear ideas about
ways to adapt other axles to an Airstream. I have a 61 Tradewind with solid
axle and leaf springs. It looks like standard stuff that should be available
at trailer supply places. There are only 2 small brackets welded to the
frame and the shock mount. It tows very well, I have not been able to tell
any difference with the newer axle trailers. (73 GT, 74 Argosy) Now to my
ideas, Ford has available an air suspension for the rear of the newer F250
type trucks, A great idea that should be in all trucks so they can work when
needed but ride nicely unloaded. It's a simple setup with a minimal amount
of leaf springs to keep the axle in place, the airbags are mounted between
the axle and frame, they take most of the load. It seems like a similar
system might be easily adapted to an airstream with leaf springs and maybe
retrofitted to newer ones for replacing axles and easing the ride of the
trailer. There are different kinds of  airbags and controllers on the
market. What are other ideas on this.