[VAC] Re: For Andy at Inland - my axle question of last week

Phil.
The downside of continued usage of an axle that has gone bad, is several.
When the torsion arm moves upward, when hitting bumps, it will hit a built in
stop. That removes all the shock absorbing abilities that was built into the
axle.
When the stop is hit, all the shock is transferred to many parts of the
trailer.
Historically, some of the results of bottoming out, are as follows.
1. Fatigue cracks will appear in the frame.
2. Rear end separation.
3. Fatigue cracks in the shell.
4. Bend the outriggers, which will allow the shell to drop, which in turn
will spit furniture out into the aisle. The beginning of that will usually
show up at the galley counter top. Suddenly, the back
splash has dropped so that the front of the counter top is higher that the
backside. That tells you that you have bent the outriggers.
5. Fatigue cracking copper tubing in the Air Conditioner.
6. Punching the galley dividers into the ceiling.
7. Lack of proper wheel balance also contributes to fatigue damage as well.
8. Shearing rivets throughout, especially at the front hold down plate.
9. The wheel well covers will become damaged.
10. Tire blow outs can occur.
11. The self dampening oscillation control will be defeated.
12. The longitudinal rebound will put excessive force on the hitch ball.

Additionally to install air shocks or overload type shocks, won't solve the
problem, in that they won't fit within the confined area, but if they did
fit, they would have to carry all the road shock, since the axle inner shaft
will no longer be held in position by the rubber rods, which would put
excessive loads on any add-on leveling device.

We appreciate the fact that owners are concerned about the cost of axle
replacements, and so are we. We sell them for considerably less than the Air
stream factory did.
However, the cost to replace one or two axles, is considerably less than the
cost to repair the multitude of other damages than can and will occur.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com