[VAC] repairing small holes under carriage; past email?

OK.

I work in a job running wire in buildings and sometimes ducts in
manholes.  We use this clay like stuff that is a bit stiffer than Silly
Putty. It is is fire retardant, and meets National Electrical codes in all
states. Mice and rats don't like to nibble on it.

Sometimes when you are drilling a hole in cement or wood in a building
above a drop tile ceiling, you might be in a air plenum return
ceiling.  Because of fire codes and other state and national electrical
codes, you need to plug the hole that you just drilled (to put your wire or
conduit in) with some fire retardant clay or putty like this stuff.  It is
soft like clay, so it can be molded around wires and pipes, and it is water
and fire resistant.  It never gets fully hard.  You can go back 10 years
later and it is still soft and pliable..  It sticks to almost anything.  It
is UL listed.

The stuff I use is called "3M Fire Barrier MPS-2+ Moldable Putty Stix" (it
comes in a stick about 1 foot long and about 2 inches in diameter).  I have
no idea what it costs. On the wrapper it says "34-7036-5705-5"

I think it would work great on older Airstreams, especially under the belly
of the beast where snow, water, ice and salt eat away at small opening
where pipes and wires go into the insides.  And it will stop mice, rats,
ants and anything else that tries to crawl into your small openings.

If you are retired, on a fixed income, or low on funds, Mail me about $3.50
for postage and your snail mail address and I will mail you a stick (I have
three or four sticks) for free.  All the rest of you that can afford to buy
stuff, maybe you could check with 3M and see what this stuff sells for and
buy some and try it.  I am not a Airstream expert, but this sounds good to
me and I have been using it for years now.  If someone finds an source,
maybe you can post it along with prices.

Note that 3M makes two kinds of this stuff..  The cheaper one is *not* fire
retardant.  I am not sure if you want old electrical wire running though
putty that is not fire retardant, but you be the judge.

I hope this helps someone.

jack in Portland Oregon (still looking for about a 24 footer with a big bed
in the back)

Jack Honeycutt