[VAC] Re: The Plan

With my eyes closed....after all we are having fun, right?

I've had my '59 for about 4 years now.  Yeah there was additional major
expense - carpet, refrig, potty, some re-plumbing, polishing, awning and
other things I have long forgotten - but since then all I do is upkeep and
maintenance - minimal expense.

I'm just getting started with my '75.  It needs new axles, some floor
repairs, new vent, new tanks, tambour repairs, weather seals, upholstery,
awning, window coverings etc etc.  With the exception of the axles, fairly
minor expenses.  I'm able to use as is and I expect the refrig and a/c to
quit at some point.  The point is I can spread this out over time, and I
will have a great trailer at the fraction of the cost of a new one.  Will I
recover my investment? - probably not - but at least I'm keeping the
economy going and I do enjoy camping in it.

Appliances will go out and I would plan for that.  Axles on the other hand
are either good or bad.  If they are good, they will be good for a long
long time.  If they are bad, you probably need to replace before you travel
with it a whole lot.

If I were you I would make a list of everything it needs, put numbers to it
and decide if its how you want to spend your money.  Once something is
fixed it lasts a long time if taken care of.  Plumbing by the way is cheap.
 Water heater not too bad.  Axles are a major expense and I would replace
only if you plan to keep the trailer a long time.

Ken Johansen
5358
59 Traveler
75 Tradewind