[VAC] vintage lock cylinders

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of restoring the door handle on our 59 Ambassador International. I just ran into some interesting information that may be of interest to some of you. The door handle looks something like an old fridge handle standing on end. It was made by Bargman. I took the handle down to a locksmith to see what he could do about the very worn cylinder. Turns out that the cylinder is identical to what was used by Ford on mid fifties ignition switches. It is known as a "Hurd" cylinder. The cylinders changed slightly in the late fifties and didn't include the little cam which fits in the lock plate. The earlier ones did have the cam.  He didn't have one in stock but figured it would only take a couple of days.

Colin Hyde