[VAC] Re: Walmart Tongue Jack

Greetings Jill!

The lift rating of the jack should be sufficient, but there are three
additional measurements that you might want to check:  the maximum lift
capacity, the outside diameter of the jack tube, and the spacing of the
mounting bolts.

I would be concerned about lift height as there seems to be quite some
variance with jacks that I recently checked out.  In addition, I learned
that the new jacks have larger outside diameters than the 1960s OEM
jacks which might require enlarging the mounting hole on the "A" frame,
and if the spacing of the mounting bolts is different those holes may
need adjusting.

I finally switched gears with my '64 Overlander and had a power tongue
jack installed at my "nearby" Airstream dealership.  The old jack had to
be cut off with a torch as someone had welded the mounting plate and
bolts at some point in the past.  I am now facing the quandary of what
to do about the tongue jack on my Argosy as the original jack is at it
maximum lift getting hitched to my Suburban and the gears seeming to be
slipping rather badly.

I will say this for a power jack, it certainly makes hitching and
unhitching far less stressful in the hot and humid Midwest!

Good luck wit your quest for a new jack!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359