[VAC] Re: Water Heater Cover

Hi J.Evans,

Your approach to mounting the water heater is similar to my installation
where I replaced the 10 gallon Bowen with a 6 gallon Atwood.   However, a
major difference is the caulking used behind the flange.  I don't think
plumbers putty is an appropriate material for the purpose.  Rather, there's
a butyl tape made specifically for the purpose and comes in zillion foot
rolls.  Just cut of a strip of the 1/8 inch X 1 inch tape like caulk and
stick it to the surface.  After the flange is fastened in place, trim the
excess if any.  Any RV parts outlet like "Camping World" has this tape.

I know this is heresy for restoration, but why not just bite the bullet and
paint the outer cover with silver paint?  Or, go to the expense and
fabricate a stainless cover.  My experience with two installations is that
modification of the original cover makes it look pretty messy.  The painted
cover on my '69 Safari looks great as far as I'm concerned.  It's my opinion
that the vent opening is a critical aspect of the design of the water
heater.  Any cover that impedes the flow of "hot" gas or is constructed of
different material than provided by the manufacturer can reduce the
efficiency of the water heater.  In a worst case, it could create a fire
hazard.

                                        Regards, '69 Safari, Joy