[VAC] Re: two requests

When we had bought our Caravel, it had sat for two seasons with RV
antifreeze in the tanks and lines.  We had to disassemble everything,
scrub it, and the water still tasted funny all the next season.  It is
OK now after 2 seasons of 3R Purogene
(http://www.billydump.com/3r/purogeneinfo.htm)  Don't know if it's just
the RV antifreeze itself, or the fact it was in there for 2 years.

We just drain all the lines & tanks now in the winter.

> Secondly, is there a way for us to assess how much water we have in the
> freshwater tank?  We have no gauge and so its level, when I am not
> filling it completely, is "by-guess-and-by-gosh" as to what we actually
> have there in reserve.  Because of weight concerns I would like to know
> more accurately.  Thanks, Dave Mills

Many people install clear sight glasses or tubes that are vertical to
the tank, and attach at the top of tank with the vent line and at the
bottom with the drain line.  Most installations seem to be retrofits -
don't know if they were ever an airstream option.

RJ
VintageAirstream.com