[VAC] Re: Indelicate Answer

Gina,

Are you saying that you use composted human waste for fertilizer?

I know what milorganite is, it's sludge made into fertilizer from
"sewage treatment plants".  This milorganite is *sterilized* I'm sure
even though it too has been "composted" in their own way.

However, using human waste that has even been "composted" should never
be used as fertilizer *unless* it's of the milorganite type made and
produced by sewage treatment plants.  I seriously doubt that your
composting of this waste can compare *health-wise* for the general
public at large with the milorganite product made only with all sorts of
permits, time studies and whatever else was "authorized" to make their
product safe for the environment.

I mean, even you a septic tank keeps the solids in the tank itself yet
lets the effluent leach out into the drain fields which is *sanitary* or
at least we are told that is the case.  Then again, too many septic
tanks will soon render a drinking water well unfit for human
consumption.

To me I would think that the burning of solid waste that has been
"composted" would be a much safer means of disposal of human waste than
spreading it around and using it as "fertilizer" as you stated.

Human waste used as fertilizer is a practice in third world countries I
know.  And in India specifically it is those of the lower caste who are
lucky (not really lucky are they?) enough to be the ones that haul loads
of other peoples human waste by-products.

Please be careful and check into the practice of "fertilizing" like you
do.  Perhaps a composting toilet that burns the waste would be a more
practical solution for you and yours?

Tom