[VAC] Re: door gasket

Hi Dave,

I just replaced all the weather seals on my '74 Argosy and I used 3M
adhesive.  The biggest job is removing the old seal down to clean metal.  I
used a carpet knife to cut most of the seal away.  Then sprayed the remains
with Brake Clean.  This softens the old adhesive and the old seal so it can
be scraped off.  Toward the end of the cleaning, I used a small wire brush
and then wiped the metal clean.

The Out of Doors Mart, an Airstream Dealer in NC said that they didn't carry
the adhesive for the seal as they couldn't compete with and sent me to an
auto parts store.

The instructions for 3M adhesive says to coat both surfaces and let dry.
Then recoat the metal for short distances and lay the new seal in place.
The parts bond immediately in most places.  Only on sharp bends is there a
problem that requires being clamped in place.

The instructions tell the installer to use the 3M cleaner to remove the mold
powder and what ever from the seal before installing.  The Brake Clean would
damage the seal.  My local auto parts store didn't have the 3M cleaner;
however, the seal looked clean so I went ahead without it.

Worked well for me and might be just the right adhesive for  your seal
installation.

                            '74 Argosy, Joy