[VAC] Marker lights

I am replacing the old galvanized side marker lights with new.  The old ones
had a channel around the edge which was filled with plumbers putty.  The new
lights do not have a channel.  They are flat on the back.  should I put
something between the light and the trailer?  Vulkem?  Plumbers putty?  The
tail lights and license plat holder also had a liberal amount of plumbers
putty under them.  Since I am re-using them I plan to do the same thing.
Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Dick
'62 Bambi