[VAC] Re: Tires on single axle

I have the skids which were an aftermarket add on in 1966 the year of my
Safari. In the pile of literature that came with the coach was a magazine
advertisement for them, and it is a hoot to read. The writing style is pure
post war trailerite.

I travel extensively in this coach, and have had a blow out on the Interstate
with the now recalled Marathon Radials. The tire completely delaminated and
slapped the heck out of my wheel well. But all was easily repairable by
myself, with good cosmetic results. The skids really helped, and it was easy
to pull over keeping the trailer well under control.

I was especially glad to have them when a real nightmare occurred on bright
spring morning in rural Ohio, on a small state road. I heard a sickening
noise and watched in my mirror as my street side wheel (that's tire, wheel,
and hub cap!) all came off and rolled in to the ditch. The trailer hit the
skids, and I quickly was able to pull over, keeping the trailer under
control. For those who pondered about sparks in this scenario, YES there was
a dramatic rooster tail, but for all that I had no trouble in keeping things
upright and well in control. The entire event took less than 10 seconds to be
sure, but I know I aged at least 5 years that morning!

I suppose IF there had been a fire, it would have been easily to cope with if
the trailer was upright. But then again if I had rolled it and it was
burning, I probably wouldn't have bothered -- other than to contain the blaze
-- of course.

The tires were rather new and well balanced, even the tire that came off was
still in balance. The trailer was not overloaded, and only about a 1/4 of a
tank of fresh water was on board. Inspection revealed that 4 of the six lug
studs on the affected side were previous to my purchase, replaced with Under
Rated studs!  They sheared off and off came the wheel. I never heard any
broken lug bolts rattling around in the hub cap, and most of my travels are
on smooth roads. But you can't see it all coming, I suppose. Needles to say
the other side was serviced as well!

Yet the skids not only kept the trailer from rolling, but even saved the
brake drum, and the whole system. I was able to get new studs pressed into
the drum, and reassemble roadside, and get to my fair, albeit half a day
late, and much greasier that I started. I spent about $17 to fix this seeming
disaster, to get back on the road.

I did incur significant wheel well damage, but not too unsightly. I am saving
up for a new panel to be put on at Jackson Center, and may replace the axle
at that time. But several thousand steady and true miles have been put on
this trailer since, with no problems -- that I can tell...

I am running on 700x15 Cooper Roadmasters (I have heard about Cooper's
problems), but this set is working great, fits just right, and looks fine. I
carry one trailer spare in the truck, with AAA rvPlus, and a small bottle of
Nitrogen gas set up to fill tires with, which is left over from my darkroom
days. I used dial tire gages, and check them constantly cold or hot while t
raveling, as the above event put religion in me as you can guess.

On the 88 GMC 3/4 ton puller I used Michelin XLT commercial grade Load "E"
and run at 70 psi all around cold when pulling, which is most of the time, so
I leave it there.
It rides like a 3/4 truck, but that's what it is. These tire are taking a lot
and I am quite happy with them.

I have written before about my observation with the poly bias tires and the
overheating that occurs when underinflated. I'd just like to remind folks of
that: They heat up Very Fast indeed. Radials just run cooler. But I digress.

Skids! They saved this carny's keester! Let's hope nobody else ever needs
them!

Alex In Indiana
66 Safari & Overlander
8728