[VAC] Re: ntro/needs help

Hi Phil,

My work with a '69 Safari  taught me a lot about Airstream assembly
techniques and possible my experiences will help with your problem.  Just
keep in mind that free advice is worth .  .  .

I'm assuming that you have not removed the strainer and "P" trap assembly?
My experience is that the strainer is not removable and must be cut loose
from the bottom of the pan or tub.  Also, the fittings of the "P" trap have
a dab of glue so they are not removable in a single restorable piece.  Add
to this, direct replacements are not generally available.  This means that
you must choose where you cut to separate so you can grind, or otherwise
make old fittings work.  This work must be done below the floor.  Typically,
Airstream installed a cup under the "P" trap to help prevent freeze.
Unfortunately, you'll have to drop part of the belly pan to get at the trap.
Also, some restorers suggest not to drop the entire pan section.  Rather,
just cut out what you need and patch the cut out back in later.  Handling
the banana curve, trim strip, and skin wrap is a real pain in the .  .  .

I don't yet have experience with it's removal (soon to experience with my
'74 Argosy 22).  the shower pan sits in the rear curb corner of the bath.
The drain is at the front of the pan and near one side.  The pan sits
directly on the floor.  I'm sure that the "P" trap is mostly hidden by the
gray water holding tank housing and will be very difficult to get at.  It's
logical that part of the "P" trap and drain is butted directly against the
overhead floor.  This will hold the pan tight to the floor.  I used the
rubber type unions to secure difficult plumbing.   Unfortunately, I just
riveted the belly pan section covering this and don't think I can check on
it right now.

The tub in my '69 sits on a plywood platform and at one time, the base was
glued to the plywood.  The 2X4 runners under the plywood were screwed to the
floor.  If the plywood platform isn't separated from the tub/shower pan, all
the plastic surround must be removed to get at the several screws.  I used a
nail saw to cut the screws off as they were to deteriorated to remove with a
screw driver.  All the drain lines in the Safari are above the floor until
they drop directly to the holding tank slide valve assembly.  Only the lower
"U" of the "P" trap extends below the floor through a cutout.  I had to cut
the drain, separate the strainer by cutting the ABS plastic off the metal.
My advice is to study the layout very carefully and make cuts that will
allow reuse of much of the plumbing.

Sorry about the need for access to the under floor of the trailer.

There isn't any good luck fairy when it comes to restoring an Airstream.
The manufacturer only cared about construction, not maintenance and
restoration.  Then, few trailers outlive the components - except when freeze
damage occurs as in my Argosy.  The floor rot in the bathroom of my Safari
was so extensive that I had to remove everything.  While I was at it, I
dropped the belly pan and repaired all the rot areas, made new wheel well
covers, and slowly replacing my destruction! :)

                                        '69 Safari 23, '74 Argosy 22
                                                    Joy