[VAC] Re: Refinishing Bathroom Unit

Greetings Gary!

This may not answer your question if you are planning a do-it-yourself
project of refinishing your bath unit, but it is an alternative.  I have
been facing this same situation with my '64 Overlander, and discussed it
with the plumbing and heating contractor who is working on a project at
my home.  He referred me to a local refinisher who has excellent
references and recently discussed the project with me.

It seems that the same process used to refinish similar fiberglass
bathroom fixtures in homes will work in our Airstreams.  The process is
guaranteed for five (5) years and is an epoxy/polymer that is sprayed on
in a three step process.  There are a variety of colors available so it
is possible to choose another color if you are faced with a color you
can't tolerate, as I am with the avocado green in my Overlander.

I have been discussing this process with a number of local refinishers.
The most difficult part of the process is finding a contractor who will
consider refinishing a travel trailer.  The two who finally personally
examined the job were pleased to find that an Airstream bath is more
spacious than in most of the competition.  If you choose to pursue this
option, when speaking with refinishers, it might pay to omit reference
to travel trailer and just call it a trailer.

My trailer is scheduled to have its bath refinished in September in a
color that they call dove gray.  I am confident based upon speaking with
others who have had household fiberglass fixtures refinished by this
contractor that my Airstream will turn out beautifully.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359