[VAC] Re: Refrigerator

Hi Mitch,

Your comment about the ammonia absorbtion unit being tired doesn't say that
it is leaking (you'd know that in no uncertain terms). On more than one
occasion, I've infused new life into a "tired" unit just by replacing the
thermocouple or cleaning up the burner and adjusting it to
specifications.

In two different Airstreams (1987 and 1977), I had the cooling unit replaced
because I liked the refrigerator's interior arrangement and I didn't like
the idea of cannabalizing the woodwork around them to make a newer one fit.

Plus, I have a mechanic who has replaced dozens of cooling units for other
RVers and knows the drill inside and out.  If you are interested, he works
for Northway Travel Trailers in Malta, NY. Contact John Buchanan at
518.458.2228 to set it up.

There are other RV dealerships around the continent who have a good
reputation for doing this job - if it's not something you'd like to tackle.
For example, I've see the job being done at Billy Pollard's Airstream
dealership in Jackson, Mississippi (800.845.9901).  Those boys have it down
to a science.

You've read Kevin Allen's comments. He had his fridge replaced by Ace
Vogdall (317.277.2641) in Cedar Falls, Iowa, including cabinetry
modifications. Last week, Vogdall's did project for me on our '67 22'
Airstream and I was completely satisfied with it. I'd not hesitate to ask
them to work on my refrigerator.

Two winters ago, at Oasis RV in Tucson, I watched two men replace a cooling
unit while several other jobs were being done for me. I'd not hesitate to
ask them. Contact Jay or Joe Pershing at 800.658.5863 to set it up.

If you haven't already checked mobile refrigerator website at
http://www.rvmobile.com/TECH/TROUBLE/gassys.htm -- you may want to do
that, too.

If you want to do the job yourself, call any of these Airstream dealerships
to find out where they buy the cooling units. Although I consider myself
competent in many ways, I consider this to be one job where an experienced
service man will earn his paycheck - and then some - especially if he runs
into unexpected snags.

In my opinion, this job is not for the faint hearted, nor for anyone who
hasn't done their homework, nor for anyone who is in a hurry, nor for anyone
who is working alone without the help of another pair of hands (some of the
bull work moving the unit out and back in - is intense - and that doesn't
count getting it up onto the test bench).

Tell us how you make out,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net