[VAC] HUD work on 66 Safari

Some time back I told the list that I had received a HUD grant for necessary
repairs to my 66 Safari.  This was possible because the City of Oceanside
allows such grants for permanently installed mobile homes.  I am really
pushing that definition :)

Anyway the work is in progress and here is a report.  I have been involved
every step of the way to assure quality and get maximum bang for the buck.
The Armstrong A/C was very difficult to remove because of sheer weight.  We
cut the unit into three components to bring it down.  In it's place the
contractor put a Fantastic Fan "Create a Breeze" unit.  It is working as I
type, keeping the unit at 82 degrees on a very hot So Cal day.

The overhead area that was previously covered by the A/C was very stained
and dirty but cleaned up well with 409 and stainless steel wool.  I plan to
put rivets in the empty holes.  There is a 4" hole that needs patching.
Does anyone have creative or functional ideas for how to best patch it.

There was some rot on the floor near the door but the contractor did a nice
job of patching.  They also pulled the floor heater in the head.  It could
not have been stock because it was very poorly installed.  I will have to
get a welder to span breaks in the structure (cross and lengthwise) when the
patching work is done.  Then I will patch the underbelly.

Left to go is the Congoleum Vinyl flooring and replacement of bad copper
pipe with flex pipe.
All in all I thank my lucky stars for the HUD grant.  It is allowing
necessary repairs that I could otherwise not afford.

Bob Kiger  http://cruiserbob.com
66 Airstream Safari
Mira Mar Mobile Park
Oceanside, CA