[VAC] Re: Traveling with satellite TV

I have a roof mounted crank up dish and digital elevation reader, that makes
set-up and satellite lock-in a snap, on my Overlander. I wouldn't mess with
a ground mount unit unless one has an extra person to help and patience. If
I have a good Southern exposure, I can usually set-up and lock in the sat
within a couple of minutes if not less. I have Dish Network and swing the
dish from their 110 and 119 degree satellites depending on whether I watch
"locals" which are on 119, verses nationals, on 110. It's easy from inside
and a one person task. I don't mess with the antenna anymore, since Sat is
easier and a better picture. DirecTV also uses 101, 110, and 119 for their
satellite broadcasts, so having the ability to swing the dish from inside is
a big plus. With the  pending merger between Dish/DirecTV, most programming
will be consolidated on 101/110/119. Expect to see triple LNBF dishes that
lock all three stats at once.
I plan to add HDTV eventually to my a/s using small flat panel HDTV
displays. Dish Network broadcasts HDTV programming from their 61.5  and 148
degree West satellites.  For most folks, aiming at 110 or 119 is good enough
for cable type programming.
By the way, Dish Network offers an "RV exemption", which allows customers to
receive distant networks from the roof mounted RV (not ground mounted).
Since the Dish receiver is moveable, one can also watch these programs while
at home. I enjoy watching NYC, LA, and Denver locals in my Overlander while
traveling (and at home). NYC and LA also broadcast CBS programming in HDTV
via Dish Network.
For those of you in/from Canada, Bell Express-Vu also uses Dish Network
technology and allows reception of Canada's excellent programming throughout
most of the US and parts of Mexico. Dish Net customers cannot receive this
programming, nor visa versa-Canada protects is evolving and excellent TV
industry. Hopefully eventually this will be lifted allowing cross cultural
TV viewing.
Randy Unter
'66 Overlander
'73 Sovereign