[VAC] Re: Wire Nuts - Now I Know - Maybe?

I really like the idea of the Gel filled wire nuts, but haven't found a
source for them locally.  Possibly Dr. G. could post the source?

For my installation, I opted to coat the wires with dielectric, install the
wire nut, and then make several applications of liquid tape.  The liquid
tape with stood several weeks for a splice for my outdoor security light
that I accidentally cut the power leads.  The hole filled with water and
stayed that way for many days.  The GFI didn't trip, so I'm assuming that
there wasn't any leakage.

Today, I used the "well wire connectors".  These are tubes that crimp on the
bitter end of the wires to be joined using a standard tool for non-insulated
connectors.  The kit comes with a 4 inch section of very heavy shrink tubing
that took all the heat my heat gun could muster at 1/4 inch to get the job
done.  As the tubing finishes, the adhesive/sealant squeegees out of the end
of the tube and says that it's done.  It rained cats and dogs for a few
minutes after I got the connections made.  The  hole is again filled with
water.  It will be a great test of the water proof connections.

I used this connector to join the new umbilical to the trailer wiring where
it's tucked inside the belly.  A nasty wet place right now; however, I'm
confident that these will withstand anything Mother nature can foist on the
Argosy.  Up front, lacking the gel filled wire nuts, I used the dielectric
grease, wire nut and several coats of liquid tape.  I kept the wire nuts
with the open end up and let the liquid run into the nut.  Might be sorry
for this; however, these connections are accessible to make changes if
necessary.

I know I'm doing it contrary to the advice from the list.  Sometimes I just
gotta do it my way? :)  Later, I'll most likely be thankful for the advice
from the list and do it right!

                         '74 Argosy, Joy