[VAC] Refrig and water heater questions

I have just finished my shakedown cruise in my "new to me" 1973 Tradewind.  I
am really amazed at how cozy and comfortable we were in this trailer!  I am
also amazed at how long it took me to get things figured out, especially all
the valves in the water system.

I ran into two problems and am seeking advice from the group.  First related
to the refrigerator.  I have the original Dometic unit which has one knob to
pull and hold out while pushing another knob which sparks a flint to light the
pilot.  I was interrupted during my first attempt to light the unit, when I
returned about a half an hour later I made a goofball mistake.  I pulled on
the spark knob and pushed on the other, the spark knob came off in my hand.
Yikes!  Despite checking the Airstream Service manual and Bob Livingston's RV
repair manual and a feeble attempt to stick things back together, I have had
no success at what to do next.  Looks like I might need to slide the unit
out and turn it over to repair.  Am I right, or is there a simpler solution?

The second problem relates to the Atwood water heater.  It makes plenty of
very hot water, but the control unit where you switch from off to pilot to
on operates very difficultly and has a small gas leak out the top.  Can the
control unit be rebuilt or replaced without replacing the entire unit?  In
the mean time the gas is shut off and will stay off until this is resolved.

Thanks for your advice, this group is a great resource for a new owner!

Rick Ellis
1973 Tradewind