[VAC] Re: Rivets w/ or w/o washers

Dick,

Your experience is not uncommon.  Although Airstream recommends both types of rivets, I've
noticed that some experienced restorers tend to shy away from the type with rivets.  I've heard
two reasons for this.  One reason is that after many years, people speculate that the washers
could break away after being exposed to vibration, abrasion and "drying out" and that the rivet
would not be as tight after the washer breaks away.  I've been assured the washers will last
"at least 20 years" before cracking, but ya never know.  The other reason is that the black
washer can show, as you describe.

Regardless of the type of rivet you use, make sure you use a #20 bit to drill the holes, as
recommended by the manufacturer, and do use the Vulkem in the hole or on the rivet before
inserting it.  On my 1967 Caravel, I tend to use only the washerless variety, but the vast
majority of people use the washer type and, as I said, Airstream does recommend them along
side the washerless.

Steve
http://www.airstreamdreams.com