[VAC] Magnatec Converter

We recently bought a new Dometic Fridge.  We were told to leave plugged in
all time. It will turn over to gas if elect inturrepted and it also requires
12 volt to run.  I have a Magnatec converter which says if plugged in to
make sure not to operate without battery.(I check the battery water level at
least once a month.)  The converter instructions says there is another type
of "dummy" battery you can buy if you keep plugged in all the time. I've
lost my booklet that came with the converter, so now I don't know the name
of the special type of battery to ask for.
Besides my fridge requires 12 volt so this dummy battery probable won't work
for that. Does anyone have phone # for Magnatec?

My questions are:
1) Does everyone keep plugged in all the time?
2) Will it over chg my battery?
3) Is it necessary to keep the fridge plugged in all the time?
4) Also we've been hit several times in the past by lightning, has anyone
ever had trailer hit by lightning?  If so the damage could be terrific
couldn't it? I'm probably a little paranoid about this because it's been so
costly in the past.
Thanks
DSK in TEXAS