[VAC] Having trouble getting the shell back on my 58 Traveler...

Hi folks,

Firstly many thanks for help via this list in me going the right way in the
replacement floor and belly pan on my 58 Traveler.

I do have a big problem right now though and wonder if anyone might be able
to shed any light?

I have finished  the new floor/new belly pan  after about 8 weekends and
yesterday spent a frustrating few hours trying to fit the shell back on.

I am pretty sure that the new floor and the u-channels are exactly the same
shape and dimensions as the old floor. They were all cut out to the old
floor as a template as accurately as I could.

The problem I am having is a bit like trying to put a favourite pair of
pants on after a thanksgiving feast - you know that extra 6 pounds mean that
the zipper has be gently coaxed into action...and when ever you get it done
up it just pops down again on its own...

There are no obvious extrusions in the way, it all just seems very tight and
one corner keeps popping up when the other 3 are on

One thing that is different now is that I used .040 for the replacement
belly pan, and the original belly pan was more like .025 - this means that
the new pan is much harder to bend as easily and obviously is thicker. It
all sits and wraps snugly around the u-channel now though, although a lot of
rubber mallet banging was needed. Now the neighbors 2 streets away are
coming by to see what is going on :)

I undid the temporary 2x4 cross beam struts, and that seems to have given me
more bend in the shell generally, although the worry there is now getting
the shell on true and that the door and windows are not twisted.

I was thinking of getting 2 x 40ft cargo straps and wrapping them around
middle of the whole trailer over the vertical struts and ratcheting the
shell down little by little until in place and I can get the rivets in...

Any ideas?

Best to all

Will Henshall
will@williamhenshall.com