[VAC] Re: Replacement Rims

Bob,
  If you'll take a peek at
http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer/airstream/may27_06.jpg
you'll see what a split rim looks like. Although this is on my forklift,
they look the same on an A/S. You can tell a split rim from 20 feet away.

Split rims can be very dangerous for the tire installer, but aren't that
bad once the tire is mounted and inflated. If the tire was FLAT and you
inflated it w/o knowing what you're doing, you could be in some danger
also. Because of the dangers, it's becoming hard to find someone who
will work on split rims, so most folks replace them, even at the expense
of originality. (I have very recently seen at least one trailer with
split rims still installed, however)

                              <<Jim>>