[VAC] Re: Battery ventilation

Rik,
  I'm coming into the discussion a bit late, as I just re-up'ed to the
List yesterday evening. However, I have an observation:

Our 1973 Avion has 2, Group 24 batteries under the front couch, sitting
in a plastic box that has a loose-fitting cover. Cell ventilation is
provided by special caps that cover 3 cells/each. The caps press into
the cell openings just like the originals, but they have a nipple that
has a short hose connected to a series of 'Tee' fittings, culminating in
a hose that goes through the bottom of the battery box, then out through
the bellypan. The box itself also has a molded-in drain line that exits
through the bellypan; the vent hose goes through that.

This is the OEM setup and appears to be "OK" in my book. The caps are
probably not perfectly sealed to the batteries, but I'd bet that most of
the dangerous fumes go overboard.

My batteries only get equalized occassionaly, just when I plug in to
shore power for a while. I normally depend on only the solar panels for
charging.

Speaking of shore power: as you might remember, we have an Inteli-Power
converter/charger w/ Charge Wizard. This past w/e, I had occassion to
connect to shore power overnight and watched the eMeter for a while. The
voltage was set at 14.4 at first, with the charge rate starting at 20
amps and rather quickly tapering off, dropping to about 2 amps after a
few hours. The voltage then switched to 13.6, with the charge rate going
to .1 or .2 amps. As you know, the I-P will drop to 13.2 volts after 24
hours of electrical inactivity, jumping to 14.4 for 15 minutes every 23
hours. This performs an automatic equalization and "stirs" the electrolyte.

I add water maybe every 6 months or so.

                                <<Jim>>