[VAC] Re: Sewer Solution on older airstreams

Tim,
    Like yourself I have an older coach with no gray tank.  My now infamous
Thetford Slideomatic when fully open allows direct access into the black
holding tank.  I have been taught to use a wand and manually spray out the
black tank to clean.  It's an inexpensive solution from the top down and
puts lots of water pressure in the cruddy area, where it is most needed.

I have also been taught to keep the black tank valve closed and use
deodorant even while "permanently" hooked to city sewer lines.  I open the
valve weekly or as needed.  This practice is supposed to prevent the buildup
of paper in the bottom of the tank, which can become like paper mache if it
keeps dropping and drying.  Keeping the valve closed eliminates the drying
and reduces clogging in the tank.  For the list vets, have I been taught
correctly?

Bob Kiger  http://cruiserbob.com
66 Airstream Safari - Mira Mar Mobile Park
Oceanside, CA