[VAC] New tires and furnace

This weekend is a long weekend in Canada (Victoria Day) giving me my 1st
opportunity to get some serious work done on the 66 TradeWind. We purchased
it last Fall and have not used it yet.

Saturday I took my rims to a local tire shop (2 at a time) and had new
Goodyear Marathons installed (ST 225 75R 15 load range D). Thanks to all for
their tire input.

While the tires were being changed I checked the brakes which are in good
shape and cleaned and repacked the bearings. Only my front axle has brakes.

Sunday I installed a new Suburban furnace. The original was removed years
ago. The manual says a Suburban NT-20 was original equipment, I bought a new
Suburban NT- 20 SE. The new model takes up a lot less space than the
original. I had to build a platform under the furnace about 4-1/2" high to
line up the original intake / exhaust vents. The original holes had to be
enlarged slightly with some tin snips. On the inside there is a large hole
in the cabinet panel. The new grill only covers about 1/3 of the original
opening (another project).

I'm not sure where the original thermostat was located, I could not find any
wires or holes. I mounted the new thermostat on the column that houses the
kitchen sink vent. (on the bedroom side of the kitchen bulkhead). The dealer
that sold me the furnace warned me that if the furnace is powered up and you
create a power surge by hooking up your tow vehicle the circuit board will
be fried instantly. Major $$$ to replace. Fortunately the thermostat has an
"off" position that I hope will prevent this.

Fired up the fridge and found the pilot lit easily. I turned it off before I
could see if it was cooling because the trailer was not level and I did not
want to risk damage to the cooling unit. Monday I will level and try the
fridge. I'm crossing my fingers.

Have yet to check out the water and sanitation systems. Maybe Monday.

Thanks to all for contributing to the list, these projects would be daunting
without the knowledge, experience and tips I've been able to utilize from
this resource.

Take Care

Terry O'Neill
Calgary