[VAC] Fantastic Fan

One tip that I got from the guy I bought my fan from was to wait a few days
after installing the fan and compressing the gasket before caulking around
the edge.  He indicated that the gasket gave off air bubbles when compressed
which could create leaks in the caulk.  He was also very insistent that the
gasket shipped with the fan should be used.  Apparently some people do not
use it, substituting only caulk and he felt that was a mistake.

A few things I did on my own were:
    1)  Replaced the galvanized screws with stainless of the same size.
Note that although the directions say to use all 28 screws there are
actually fewer holes because they made the flange thicker and reduced the
number of holes.  So if your fans are like mine you will not use all the
screws.
    2)  There were two corners where the fan holes lined up with old larger
holes in the roof of the Airstream.  I was told to just substitute bigger
screws but when I did they didn't seat properly in the flange and the holes
were still too big to hold well.  I figured out that I could flex the
interior ceiling enough to get a nut in there with a needle nose vise grip.
While my wife turned the appropriately sized stainless bolt I moved the
little nut into position.  Worked great.
    3)  The Air conditioner I took out had been wired with newer romex to a
nearby outlet.  Even though the romex was visible inside the trailer
cabinetry part of the way I thought I would have to switch it to 12 volts
and reuse it.  Fortunately I looked around the hole in the ceiling and found
the trailer had been prewired with both 12 volt and 110 volt wires to the
opening.  This was a great find as it allowed me to tear out the offensive
romex completely.  The wire near the opening was looped so all I had to do
was cut it and connect the black wire from the fan to both ends.

Good luck.  So far I am very happy with my fan.

Dick
'62 Bambi