[VAC] Fantastic Fan & Vulkem questions from John Anderson

John, I recently installed a Fantastic vent and had the same questions. I
spoke to a technical guy at the factory who had a very strong position about
using the gasket without any sealant between anything. According to this
fellow, they developed the gasket and absorbed the added cost because caulk
does not work over time because it cracks and leaks. I followed his advice
and I think he's right. I even kept the extra gasket material for some other
future application. Even though it looks like some cheap packing material,
he assured me that it was not and it was developed specifically to be used
as a gasket. My unit is relatively flat in the vent area so I didn't have a
problem with the flat flang and curved roof. He advised that I caulk the
edges and the screw heads. After doing that it looked pretty messy, so I
caulked over the entire flang with Vulkem. I tried to be neat, but I do
understand the trowel look. The Vulkem does help the white flang to blend
with the aluminum. On the inside, the Airstream benzel did not match the
curve of my ceiling, but I traced and sanded a couple of times and it fit
perfect.

For anyone else who is considering a Fantastic vent, I bought the low
profile, flat dome so it would look like the front Herh vent instead of the
bubble look that you get with the standard Fantastic vent. The finished look
is clean. I would do it again.

Rick Langer
'66 GlobeTrotter
#3847 VAC, TCT