[VAC] new flooring

Good luck Ed.  Mine was miserable too.  I found the heat gun, a stiff
scraper the size of a putty knife and lots of patience was the answer.  Heat
it up and scrape off the top layer which came off very easily for me.  Then
heat it up some more and scrape out the layers of felty tarry stuff.  Then
heat it up some more and try to scrape through the pink or brown colored
glue that held the tile down without gouging the wood.  With practice I was
leaving a reverse print of the word Armstrong on the wood after removing
virtually every bit of black stuff.  My hip joints are still stiff 3 days
later but now its done!

One of the list participants, Shari Davis, has some good pictures on her web
site.  Check out         http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/    and go
to flooring.  I want to thank Shari for her pictures.  They showed me it
could be done.

Dick
'62 Bambi