[VAC] Re: Asbestos floor tile

Thanks Chris...I don't intend to either downplay or alarm folks with regards
to asbestos...just inform those who may be disturbed by this discussion.  As
a commercial interior designer, I run across it all the time in remodel
projects.  For those who are unaware or mis-informed regarding asbestos and
it's effects, here is a very informative webpage that simply states the
different types and conditions where it is typically found:

http://www.oehs.wayne.edu/oeh&s/asbestos.html

Vinyl-asbestos tile is dependable and durable and it does not pose harm
unless it is disturbed.  It was the tile of choice for decades until it was
discontinued for residential application in 1973. Manufacturers had until
1978 to deplete their stock and cease distribution. Asbestos had been used
for almost 100 years as a binder in tiles. The asbestos in tile is not
considered a health hazard because it is not friable or airborne.  When
removed however, it can become airborne and appropriate precautions should
be taken or a professional abatement should be done.

Shari