[VAC] Re: Safari Weight/'93 Buick LeSabre Tow?

Greetings George!

I would be very hesitant to consider the Buick LeSabre as a tow vehicle.  If
my memory serves correctly, the maximum trailer weight permitted by factory
rating was 2,400 pounds - - and even that required a load distributing hitch
setup.

With all of the drivetrain under the hood, the additional heat generated in
towing a trailer would likely require the addition of a transmission cooler,
and even then the stock (read standard) radiator would likely be overwhelmed
(IMHO).  With the front wheels providing motivation as well as steering,
transferring some of the hitch weight to the front axle would almost be a
necessity (IMHO) for traction in adverse driving conditions.

I tried towing a Nomad trailer weighing 3,000 pounds with my Pontiac that
had a 4.1 liter V6, and it was simply overwhelmed by the trailer - - even
though it had a Reese hitch and all of the factory options to tow a 3,000
pound trailer.  The maximum speed on flat, level highway was 44 MPH.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban