[VAC] Re: Battery Chargers

Andy,
	There is more than one kind of Univolt.  The one in my 76 Trade Wind is
listed at 11.5 volt RMS out.  It to is a  ferroresonate  unit.  It will
not over charge a battery.  I have it plugged in now and it has been
since last August when I put the trailer in storage.  It will keep the
battery up with out boiling the water out.  One problem is that it takes
a long time to charge the battery.  It will supply about 55 amp but can
only charge the battery at about 3 amp.  It only supplies 16 volts peak
and not very much power there.  I believe that Univolt is a trade mark
(Trade name) of General Signal but I am not sure.
	I have connected a varac to the input of this unit and the output did
not change by more than 1/2 volt as I swung the input from 30 to 150
volts.  The regulation is very good.
	The second type of Univolt ( I have one of these also but do not use
it.  I am not sure that it says "Univolt" on it.  is just a transformer
and a diode.  It has two big fuses on the front panel.  There is no
regulation at all and it will boil the battery dry.  It is rated at 12
volt RMS also.
	If you want a 1 page of 'Theory of Operation', I will send you one off
list.

bill
25 ft Trade wind in WV