[VAC] rodents

I recently removed the lower front inside panel on my '62 Bambi.  The area
between the walls was clean and rodent free.   The insulation was dry and
nice.  I would not remove the inside skin just to look for infestation as
the walls seem very secure.  I am going to do a little re-wiring and taking
out thisThe area between the belly pan and the floor is another story.
There is every indication that little acorn loving critters have spent quite
a bit of time in there.

I believe the inside rivets are just plain old 1/8 inch aluminum pop rivets
available at your local hardware store.  They all have the little dimple in
the middle which makes drilling them out very easy.  Be sure you get all
aluminum.  Some people use Olympic rivets and a rivet shaver inside and out.
these are available at Inland RV,  Airstream Dreams and probably other
places.  Since I do not plan to remove any more inside panels I am planning
to use pop rivets to match what I took out.  I also bought some Cleco clamps
from Aircraft Spruce to help with re-assembly.  Probably not absolutely
necessary but should help to get things lined up.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise I don't think I will replace the
insulation I take out of the floor.  I don't anticipate any seriously cold
weather camping and the insulation seems to hold all manner of bad stuff
like moisture, odors, rodents and their residue.  I think it also
contributes to floor rot and frame rusting.  Since heat rises I don't think
the uninsulated floor will be a big problem on moderately cold days.  I will
re-use the insulation from the wall which seems much more important.  I'm
sure there is an acceptable replacement insulation out there but I have not
checked into it.

I would welcome any comments from the more experienced members of the group,
particularly if anything I have said is controversial or plain old wrong.

Good luck with your Bambi Eric.

Dick
1962 Bambi