[VAC] Re: Water Heater Removal

Title: Re: [VAC] Water Heater Removal
Terry,
I just removed the water heater from my '68 Ambassador (28').  Not a simple chore.  You have to gain access to the interior wall around the heater and remove the rivits holding three aluminum panels that close the space between the heater and the wall on the inside wall.  Because of the design of the heater, it had to be removed from the inside of the trailer.  Physically would not fit through the exterior opening.  Concur with the other good advice.  Replace it now and save yourself a lot of trouble later.  Much too big a job to do over.  The other problem I had was that the new heater was taller, but narrower.  Had to cut the opening larger, then had a shroud fabricated to frame in the new heater.  Overall it looks pretty good, but you may want to shop a little more than I did to find a closer replacement.  I replaced the one in my '60 and it was virturally a one for one fit.  Also was much easier to remove as it just slipped out the opening.
Good Luck
Pete