[VAC] Re: Tire Removal

Title: Re: [VAC] Tire Removal
Hi Don,

Don't bother with the jack, just drag out a piece of scrap wood as wide as your tire tread and about 2 feet long, but not much longer. Then, stack short (12") pieces of 2x4s crosswise under it to support the weight as you back up onto the wide board. I usually put 4 of the shorties at the far end, then 3, then 1 as I get closer to the tire. If I use a piece of wood longer than 2.5 feet, the affected tire doesn't get high enough for me to remove it.  It works best when the trailer is level to begin with and not be on an angle.

Another point. You didn't ask for this one.

While you have the wheel off, measure the width of the wheel well and notice where the wheel well ends and the belly pan begins. This is the area where a blown tire will cause noticeable damage. While you are trying to stop the trailer and chunks of rubber are flying off the tire, the shredding rotation of very sharp steel belts will expose the wooden floor where the plastic wheel well ends and the floor begins.

This exposed area is where water will be forced inside your trailer while towing during a rain storm.  If it's raining when the tire blows, you'll put on the spare and continue to a campground or truck stop or mall parking lot. That's when water will get inside the flooring around the wheel well area and onto your carpet. But, if it's not raining when the tire blows, you'll have a chance of repairing the damage at the campground that evening or the next morning.

Of course, you'll be prepared with a 2' x 2' (or 3' x 3') sheet of aluminum that you bought at the hardware store before you left home. You'll have your pop rivet gun (and a spare for when it jams) and a supply of fat pop rivets (1/2 inch and 3/4 inch long), not the skinny ones. You'll have your jack and pieces of wood to hold the cut piece of aluminum (12" by 12" or thereabouts) while you shape and pop rivet it in place. You'll have your tube of caulking to dress up the repair before you replace the wheel. Then, you'll continue on your vacation, have a grand time and smile at your foresight.

"He who has the most stuff in his "stash box" has the most fun when things go wrong."

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net