From: NOLAND@flash.net <mailto:NOLAND@flash.net> [mailto:NOLAND@flash.net]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 3:08 PM
To: VACList@airstream.net <mailto:VACList@airstream.net>; Dial, RJ /oakeg;
Subject: 25 year rule

Hi Fellow Airstreamers,

In the last issue of the Vintage Advantage, in the President's
Message, I raised a question at the request of a VAC member. I
asked for membership feedback. The question is now known
affectionally as "the 25 year rule". Within the subject of
qualification as a Vintage Airstream were many options,
including "leave it be at 25 years old or older".

I have received a multitude of e-mails with your inputs; all the
way from: "leave it be, I like it the way it is", to 4 to 5 page
diatribes exalting, with great fervor, all the reasons why a
change is unnecessary and undesirable, and also the mere
suggestion of a discussion on the subject was detrimental to the
Vintage club.

Almost 100% of the e-mails received have said in one way or
another: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" The founders of the
Vintage Club did a great job in the formation of this club. It
has grown and gained respect and stature almost beyond their
dreams. They adopted the 25 year rule.

In defense of posing this question to the membership, I suggest
that "preventative maintenance" is often prudent. If I hear a
scraping noise in a brake drum, I stop and see what, if anything,
can be done to prevent something worse from happening. I heard
the "noise" on the 25 year rule and now found out what to do:
LEAVE IT BE! I also want to say to some of the respondents: don't
be afraid to look at and discuss "change". With this current
effort we have reafirmed the basis of the club.

I feel that the single most important thing to come out of the
exercise is this: The Vintage Airstream Club is an organization
of PEOPLE, not just machines. PEOPLE with common interests,
desires,and goals; PEOPLE who are passionate about the Vintage
Airstream Club; PEOPLE who really don't judge another member by
the model of Airstream they have, but by the enthusiasm for the
Airstream lifestyle and Airstream products.

Thank you all for your responses.

Noland Vogt #447
VAC President
'74 Argosy 20' MH