[VAC] Re: MISSING TITLES

Yes, it is doable...  I went through the procedure last fall in Massachusetts.
How you will need to proceed to process a new title will vary from state to
state.
The good news is most states have a procedure for creating titles for
"salvaged vehicles" where the original paperwork has been lost or
destroyed.  If you can prove to the State's RMV that you legitimately own
the vehicle without question, they will usually issue a new title with out
any hassle.

Most states will accept a recent altho expired registration certificate, if
it is in another individuals name, that person usually has to apply for a
replacement title, then can transfer it to you.  If you have no type of
paperwork at all, and the former owner is no longer available as was my
case, the registry usually will accept an application, then research to
confirm the information as supplied. In my case, the state took about three
weeks and issued me a new title.

The big hassle was finding a registry employee that knew it could be done
and how to do it.  After a month of getting turned away by my local county
"state RMV office", (they kept deciding they wanted more information each
time I went in with the info they asked for my last visit),  It became
obvious to me they didn't know what they should be doing.

I went to the State RMV office in a different county, stood in line 20
minutes, in 5 minutes, the lady processed the application, issued a
temporary title, registration and plate, 3 weeks later the new title was in
my mailbox...

Moral of the story, if at first you don't succeed, try a different RMV
office..

Mitch Hill - WA1YKN / AFA1HN
64 AS Ambassador I'ntl
WBCCI #21960