[VAC] Re: Refinish wood panels - 67 Safari

The reason I prefer to sand is because you don't really have a uniform finish after stripping and will require at least a light "between coat" sanding before staining.  This one step procedure was less messy and actually took less time then stripping.  Again, the lacquer they used is so thin, it comes off easily however you do it.  If I didn't have an orbital sander and a wood shop, I would probably strip instead.  I also used a profile sander to get the corners of the rails and styles of the cabinets.  Either method is good and the result is that we all have nice cabinets now.
On a side note, did anybody else notice they used the wrong side of the veneer plywood during installation?  My 68 has walnut and they installed the good grade veneer side to the inside and the less quality side to the outside.  Course that was 1968 so I can only imagine why!!  Arrrr.
Randy