[VAC] Re: Fwd: Sticky ceilings

On sticky ceilings:

Almost everything in 69+ AS's is some form of plastic, which is good for
weight, and maybe not so good on aesthetics, ( I;m collecting plastic
things these days..)

Nearly all plastics and adhesives are unstable. When new, they can out
gas pretty heavily, that nice new car smell for example. Over time that
initial outgassing slows down, but it does continue, and eventually the
plastic degrades, becomes brittle and maybe even crumbley. This is a
wild sweeping generalization about hundreds if not thousands of
different compounds. Think of a white plastic bucket out in the sun for
two years, or the inside of an old foam mattress.

Anyway, my hunch is that the sticky is the residue of various things
quietly turning back into the petroleum they all came from.

My 73 Ambassador doesn't have sticky  ceiling, and there was much smoke
and grunge everywhere. Now that it's clean, it seems to stay that way.
I'm pretty sure there was no carpet installed originally, maybe it
carpet glue does it ?

Daisy