[VAC] Re: Cleaning out H20 heater

Hey Bob,

One thing you may want to try is good old Sodium Bicarbonate, better
known as Baking Soda. Dump about a cup into your fresh water holding
tank, fill the tank about two thirds full, and drive your rig around the
block a few times to get it mixed well. Then run it through all of your
lines, making sure to fill the water heater with it. Let it stand for
two or three DAYS, then drain the system, refill with fresh water, drive
around the block again, drain and refill again. Keep flushing till it's
all washed out, you may have to repeat this entire procedure a few
times. Sodium Bicarbonate will eventually dissolve hard water deposits.

> Since the H20 heater output is at the top of the tank, how would I drain it?
> As I send this email the tank has been flushing for 2 hours but the pressure
> has not increased.

If you look at your water heater from outside, you may see a small valve
cock near the base of the heater, (looks like a thread pipe with wings),
this is the drain, just turn it counter clockwise to drain the tank.
This may depend on the year and model of your water heater though.

Hope this helps...

--
Ted Byrd
1958 Overlander