[VAC] Re: Leveling the hitch

Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on the "new" Ambassador...  I have a '64 Ambassador, if you
are
trying to level the hitch between truck and trailer with a level, I suspect
your trying too hard.  The concept is to have the the truck and trailer
both level when each is  loaded as you will be travelling with them. Both
the fellows at Red Wood RV in Willbraham MA  where I purchase my Reese
hitch components and I use the same method.

Starting with the trailer level, this you can do with a level of some sort
if you wish
but it does not need to be perfect, measure the height of the ball socket
where the top of the ball will sit when coupled. Set up the hitch on the
truck so the top of the ball is at this height.  This is done with the
truck sitting as it normally sits, don't worry about level.

Hitch up the truck to the trailer and tension the spring bars by stepping
back and looking at the vertical alignment between the truck and
trailer.  Adjust the tension by using a higher or lower link in the chains
to the spring bars until both the truck and trailer look to be level
relative to each other. The object being not to have the hitch point
between them sagging towards the ground or lifting the back of the truck
higher than before hooking up.

This is an adjustment that may change from trip to trip depending on how
you load the truck and trailer.

Thanks to the failure of a Draw-Tite hitch last year, I put a whole new
Reese hitch system on my truck and trailer last November. Installing the
new hardware not including the receiver on the truck (I had installed that
elsewhere previously), the  whole procedure of setting up and adjusting the
new WD hitch took less than two hours, we didn't use a level once, just a
couple measurements by tape measure.

Hope this helps.

Mitch Hill - WAYKN
64 AS Ambassador International