[VAC] Re: Hitch Height?

Hi Mike,

I have a 1964 Airstream Ambassador International model.  The manual shows
the recommended hitch height as 20 1/2" to the top of the hitch ball on the
tow vehicle.  I believe this is the same for all Airstreams of that
vintage. However, this will change depending on load in the trailer, age of
the trailers springs and the type of tires on the trailer.

What I do is, periodically on a weekend,  tow my rig down to the local
school, and use the paved parking lot to check for trailer and truck being
level.

I have changed my trailer to Dexter wheels and ST225 radials which are
slightly smaller in diameter than the original bias type tires., plus as my
trailer has the original duratorque (?) type axles on it, The axles have
settled a bit, I now figure the hitch height is about 18 1/2" As I use a
Reese WD type hitch, it is easy to adjust for truck and trailer being
level.  The original Reese towbar that comes with the Reese WD hitch has
enough adjustment range to allow me to keep everything level and in alignment.

TNX, 73, Mitch - WA1YKN